Monday, March 16, 2020

Virtual Learning and Joke of the Week

I know as a teacher and a mom, much of my time lately has been spent worrying about the many changes that we are facing as a community, school and country.  As your student's Digital Literacy teacher, my job is to make the virtual learning that we will be doing as stress free as possible. I will be posting answers to common questions here on my blog, but also know that I am available for questions during my posted office hours of 9-10 am daily in Google Meet and by email throughout the day.  My office hours are pre-scheduled, and your student will be able to follow the link that I will share in Google Classroom to access me during my office hours each day. Additionally, all of the classroom work that I will be sharing will be through Google Classroom.  Your student has been using Google Classroom for my class since the beginning of the quarter, and will be using the same classroom for virtual learning.  


On Thursday, I will be introducing some coding work that we will be doing for Digital Literacy.  The last day of the quarter is two days after our scheduled Spring Break.  The students were able to finish up their robots last week, and we were even able to have our battle!  Below is a picture of the students working on their "Robotic Design Challenge Trials". 

The coding project that we will be working on will be in Code.org.  Your student can access Code.org from Clever, but I have also included a link here.   There will be a link in your student's Google Classroom stream as well.  When your student logs in, choose the "Sign in with Google" option, and then they will find the Express Course 2019 lessons they have been assigned.  Along with this coding practice, students will have the opportunity to work on vocabulary related to coding, and read an article about how coding is being used throughout the world.

Again, please let me know if you have any questions about anything-I am here to support you and your student throughout this entire process. 

I always post a joke of the week in my classroom, so instead of having our joke on our whiteboard, I will be posting our jokes here!  This week's joke:

Why is March the most popular month to use a trampoline?
Answer: It’s spring-time!


I said I posted jokes, I didn't say they were funny...stay safe and be well!

Digital Citizenship, Privacy, Websites and More!

Happy Thursday Digital Literacy families!  This week in class, your students are learning about Digital Citizenship, and I wanted to share s...